Our vision for music is that we provide every child with high quality music experiences which engage and inspire them. We provide opportunities for all children to create, play, perform and enjoy music and to appreciate a variety of music styles.
We aim for every child to leave Dunston Primary and Nursery Academy with a range of musical skills, knowledge and an understanding and love of music which they can carry with them for the rest of their lives.
At Dunston Primary and Nursery Academy we encourage children to participate in a variety of musical experiences through which we aim to build up the confidence of all children. Singing is an integral part of our school life and our teaching focuses on developing the children's ability to sing in tune, developing their expression and ability to listen to others
Pupils’ understanding of music will be developed through activities which bring together the requirements of performing, composing, listening and appraising. Children are taught to make music together with tuned and un-tuned instruments and to compose pieces. They are also taught to sing and play in time controlling the
sound and pace. They are taught the different ways to represent sounds graphically and symbolically.
We use the new model music curriculum as part of the Charanga scheme of work to deliver our music.
- enjoy and appreciate a wide variety of musical styles;
- explore how sounds are made, and how music is produced by a variety of instruments;
- develop imagination and creativity;
- build a sense of pulse and rhythm;
- understand a range of musical vocabulary;
- develop the interrelated skills of composition, improvisation, performance and appreciation;
- enjoy a wide range of songs and sing in tune;
- develop positive attitudes and to experience success and satisfaction in music.