Welcome to Matlock Class!
Please take a look at our class page to find out about all the things we are doing this half term.
Please bring your reading book into school in your book bag as Thursday is change over day.
PE today: Please wear your PE kit to school. We take our PE outside whenever possible, so please make sure your kit is appropriate for the weather conditions.
Our learning this term:
The Great Fire of London
Our focused text is 'The Great Fire of London' by Emma Adams. We will be using this text as an inspiration to write a setting description and a diary entry of The Great Fire of London. Within English the children will be learning how to use conjunctions, expanded noun phrases and punctuation in the correct place.
Author of the term
Our author of the term is 'Ben Miller'. We will be reading 'The Day I Fell into a Fairy tale' in our story time sessions.
Mathematics in Year 1
- To know how to count to and across 100, forwards and backwards, beginning with 0 or 1, or from any given number.
- To know how to count, read and write numbers to 50 in numerals; count in multiples of twos, fives and tens
- To identify and represent numbers using objects and pictorial representations including the number line, and use the language of: equal to, more than, less than (fewer), most, least.
Addition and subtraction
- To know how to read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition (+), subtraction (–) and equals (=) signs.
- To represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts within 20.
- To add and subtract one-digit and two-digit numbers to 20, including zero.
- To solve one-step problems that involve addition and subtraction, using concrete objects and pictorial representations, and missing number problems such as 7 =___ – 9.
Mathematics in Year 2
Shape and Space
- To know how to identify and describe the properties of 2-D shapes, including the number of sides and line symmetry in a vertical line.
- To know how to identify and describe the properties of 3-D shapes, including the number of edges, vertices and faces.
- To know how to identify 2-D shapes on the surface of 3-D shapes, [for example, a circle on a cylinder and a triangle on a pyramid]
- To know how to compare and sort common 2-D and 3-D shapes and everyday objects.
- To recognise and use symbols for pounds (£) and pence (p); combine amounts to make a particular value.
- To find different combinations of coins that equal the same amounts of money.
- To solve simple problems in a practical context involving addition and subtraction of money of the same unit, including giving change.
Multiplication and Division
- To recall and use multiplication and division facts for the 2, 5 and 10 multiplication tables.
- To calculate mathematical statements for multiplication and division within the multiplication tables and write them using the multiplication (×), division (÷) and equals (=) signs.
- To observe changes across the 4 seasons.
- To observe and describe weather associated with the seasons and how day length varies.
History (The Great Fire of London)
- To recall events beyond living memory that are significant nationally or globally.