Welcome to Darley Dale Class!
Please take a look at our class page to find out about all the exciting things we are doing in Darley Dale Class.
Our swimming day is Wednesday- please can pupils come to school in their uniform, and bring their towel, costume/trunks and swimming hat🏊♀️. Please remember to take earrings out too!
Our spelling test day is Tuesday, everyone should have their spellings in their yellow spelling books. There are activities in the back of the spelling books to help you to practice your words every week.
It is also our library trolley day on Thursday, so please remember to bring in your library books to change 📚.
Our learning this term
In our science this term, we are learning about living things and their habitats.
We will learn:
- To know the differences in the life cycles of a mammal, an amphibian, an insect and a bird
- To be able to describe the life process of reproduction in some plants and animals.
- To name, locate and explain the functions of the anther, ovary, ovule, petal, pollen, stigma, style and stamen in plants
In Geography we will learn about mountains. We will learn:
How hills and mountains form, where the major mountain ranges are, the appeal of climbing hills in the Peak District and the impact they have on those living and working near them
In Maths we will be learning about:
- Decimals – adding and subtracting decimals (Y5)
- Properties of shape – angles (Y5)
- Position and Direction – coordinates in the first quadrant, translation, symmetry, reflection of shapes (Y5)
- Measurement- converting units( Y6)
- Volume (Y5)
- Volume of cubes and cuboids
- Calculate, estimate and compare volume of cubes and cuboids using standard units
- Interpret pie charts and line graphs
- Pie charts with percentages
- Calculate the mean as an average
- Ratio and proportion - Solve problems involving the relative sizes of two quantities where missing values can be found by using integer multiplication and division facts.
- Solve problems involving similar shapes where the scale factor is known or can be found.
- Problems solving – currency unit conversions, cooking and baking, scaling problems, measurement conversions, money problems including real life tax problems
In English we will be reading and writing about:
Narrative poetry – The Highwayman
- Setting description
- Character description
- Narrative writing
Shakespeare – Macbeth
- Play study
- Journalistic Writing
- Newspaper report
Our class novel this term is The boy who hit play by Chloe Daykin.
For more information about what we are learning, please click on the curriculum link below.
Please find below our Darley Dale newsletters!
As Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone has been our class novel for this term, we have taken the opportunity to learn about Quidditch. Darley Dale thoroughly enjoyed learning the rules of Quidditch and then being able to have a go! We then watched part of a match and recorded our voices doing the commentary, which we absolutely loved doing. Everyone really got into the role!
We have been studying the work of artist Henry Moore. We have used a range of mediums to recreate pieces of his work.
WW2 Topic Work
In Darley Dale class we have been writing letters on behalf of a WW2 evacuee. We really got into our writing, and used what we had written to compose a scene in groups. We showed the evacuee with the balloting officer meeting their new families for the first time. It was fantastic to see the children using such emotion and expression in their acting, and I was so impressed with how the audience responded to the acting too!
Visit to Newbold Observatory
We had so much fun at the Observatory on Monday. It was amazing to get to look out of a real telescope! We also found out some very interesting facts about Space. The team at Chesterfield Observatory were extremely impressed with the children and their extensive space knowledge
We had so much fun designing our product for the Christmas Fayre. We looked at what we wanted to make, we priced up, and drew out what our stall was going to look like. It was so interesting for us to discuss our budget, price up our products and look at our profit we wanted to make. They all sold out within 5 minutes!! Success😁
Halloween Dress-up Day!🎃
We had so much fun dressing up for Halloween. Look at our spectacularly spooky snaps below!
Darley Dale Members of Parliament
Our Super Start Day!
We had an amazing day kick-starting our new topic. We tried Greek food, built Greek columns and took part in our own Olympics. It was so much fun to dress up in traditional Greek clothing, and we all really looked the part (as you can see from our photos!).