Welcome to Crich Class!
Please take a look at our class page to find out about all the exciting things we are doing in Crich class.
We will be going swimming on Wednesday at the Healthy Living Centre in Stavelely. Children will need to bring a one-piece swimming costume or trunks, swimming cap, a towel and googles. Please remember to remove any earrings.
Our library trolley day is on Tuesday, remember to bring in your library books to change on Tuesday.
Our spelling test day is on a Friday using spelling shed. You will be given new spellings every Friday via spelling shed. Remember to test yourselves as much as you can during the week
Our Learning this term
In our science this term, we are learning about living things and their habitats.
We will learn:
- To know the differences in the life cycles of a mammal, an amphibian, an insect and a bird
- To be able to describe the life process of reproduction in some plants and animals.
- To name, locate and explain the functions of the anther, ovary, ovule, petal, pollen, stigma, style and stamen in plants
In Geography we will learn about mountains. We will learn:
How hills and mountains form, where the major mountain ranges are, the appeal of climbing hills in the Peak District and the impact they have on those living and working near them
In Maths we will be learning about:
- Decimals – adding and subtracting decimals (Y5)
- Properties of shape – angles (Y5)
- Position and Direction – coordinates in the first quadrant, translation, symmetry, reflection of shapes (Y5)
- Measurement- converting units( Y6)
- Volume (Y5)
- Volume of cubes and cuboids
- Calculate, estimate and compare volume of cubes and cuboids using standard units
- Interpret pie charts and line graphs
- Pie charts with percentages
- Calculate the mean as an average
- Ratio and proportion - Solve problems involving the relative sizes of two quantities where missing values can be found by using integer multiplication and division facts.
- Solve problems involving similar shapes where the scale factor is known or can be found.
- Problems solving – currency unit conversions, cooking and baking, scaling problems, measurement conversions, money problems including real life tax problems
In English we will be reading and writing about:
Narrative poetry – The Highwayman
- Setting description
- Character description
- Narrative writing
Shakespeare – Macbeth
- Play study
- Journalistic Writing
- Newspaper reports
For more information about what we are learning, please click on the curriculum link below.
Our class novel this term is The boy who hit play by Chloe Daykin
Our Members of Pupil Parliament
Here are our representatives for Pupil Parliament. They share our ideas with the wider Parliament and help us to make decisions about our school.
Computing - using Crumbles
In our computing, we have been developing our programming by using algorithms to control crumbles microcomputers. We were able to create programs to control lights, buzzers and motors in sequences.
Science Investigation - Changing Materials
We carried out investigations as part of our science learning. We investigated how materials can change and looked at which materials were the best thermal insulators and conductors as well as how to separate materials.
Trip to Harry Potter Studios
We had a fantastic time visiting the Harry Potter studios near London. We really enjoyed finding out about how the films were made and we linked this to our own learning in computing/video editing.
We had a great time bouncing and dancing on the trampolines. It was very tiring though and a great way to keep fit.
Researching World War 2 evacuees
We used the internet to find evidence about what life was like as an evacuee during World War 2. We used the information to write letters as if we were evacuated.
Christmas Jumper Day
Visit to Newbold Observatory
As part of our Science learning into Earth, Sun and solar system we visited our local observatory. We learned all about the planets in the solar system and looked through the amazing telescope.
Halloween Dressing up day
We researched Ancient Greek pottery. We then designed and made our own pots out of balloons, papier mache and then decorated them using the images we had researched as inspiration.
Our Super Start Day
We dressed up as Ancient Greeks and learned all about Ancient Greece - we tasted foods, built Greek columns and carried out our own mini Greek Olympics.